Lidar-LITE+Raspberry Pi A+

Drone Mapping Flight Riot Forums Mapping Components Lidar-LITE+Raspberry Pi A+

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Andrew Jawitz Andrew Jawitz 1 year, 8 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Andrew Jawitz
    Andrew Jawitz
    Participant

Hello All,
    The LIDAR-Lite is the first device with LIDAR-like capabilities that is available for under $100. I recently got my hands on one that I would like to use with my current quadrotor setup. My quad will be using the FLIP32/Naze32 flight controller, a Turnigy 9xr-Pro Transmitter running OpenTX, OpenLRSng receiver/telemetry and a Mobius ActionCam on a 3D Printed gimbal that is vertically stabilized for mapping.

DIY Mapping Quad

Thus far, I’ve only found the LIDAR-Lite being used in an aerial configuration with higher-end PixHawk/APM platforms and the goal for my quad is to use as many low-cost and open source components as possible. While the STM32 chip on the Flip32+/Naze32 has considerably more memory than the older 8bit processors, I’m thinking it would make more sense to use a Raspberry Pi A+ to control the mapping camera+sensor packages, though it should be possible to add telemetry controls via OpenLRSng.

In any case, my plan is to use the LIDAR-Lite in conjunction with OpenDroneMap or other open source post-processing tools highlighted by this community. However, there doesn’t seem to be much mention of the LIDAR-Lite in any documentation thus far. Is there a reason for its absence or has it simply not been tested yet?

Profile photo of MegaFlare
    MegaFlare
    Keymaster

My apologies, can’t believe I missed this when it was posted. Projects like this, done in the spirit of DIY, open source, and low cost, are exactly the type of work that we like to feature on Flight Riot. If you’re still working on refining this project we’d love to keep up with your progress and share it with the community on the front page.

Email us or contact through the site and lets get some of your project details and pictures in a proper post.

@megaflare
    @geobduffy
    info@flightriot.com

Profile photo of geobduffy
    geobduffy
    Keymaster

Hey Andrew-
    Somehow I also missed this post. How is your your progress coming?
    I have a lidar lite but have not wired it up yet. Happy to do some comparison tests wiwith you. I can test on pixhawk…
    How are you intending to use it ?
    Navigation or spatial data capture?
    B

Profile photo of Andrew Jawitz
    Andrew Jawitz
    Participant

Hello All,
    Thank you for the enthused response! I haven’t managed to get too far into testing as I’m still polishing my flying skills for my quadrotor while I’ve also restarted work on my fixed-wing mapping drone as well. Regarding the Lidar-LITE, I’m definitely mostly interested in using it for mapping and considering most of the existing documentation relates to its use as a navigation sensor, there’s clearly a lot of work to do!
    For my first attempt, I forked the code from this repo- https://github.com/jbeale1/Lidar wherein the developer appears to have developed a camera trigger using the LL with the RPi Camera module. However, instead of using the RPi’s GPIO interface, he used a 32bit Teensy 3.1 via i2C. The fact that he went this route does not speak well of the RPi’s ability to handle the LLs data through its native GPIO inputs. Furthermore, the fact that he chose to use a 32bit MCU over the standard 8Bit Arduino isn’t such a good sign either…
    My initial hope was that the it would be a good job for the superpowered UDOO board as it has a quad-core ARM CPU and a built-in 32bit Microcontroller identical to the Arduino “Due”. I almost got as far as powering up the Lidar when I luckily remembered the DUE runs at 3.3v and the Lidar runs at 5v… Whomp Whomp…

OTOH, there does seem to be a lot of new code popping up on Github that uses the Lidar-LITE in a ROS framework such as this one- https://github.com/anthonymonori/hector-slam-wreck
    I’m not all that familiar with ROS, but it may be worth trying it out on an indoor vehicle to test its 3D mapping capabilities in comparison to the more common ultrasonic sensor.

In any case, it’ll probably be another week or two before I’m comfortable enough with my flying skills to try it out in the air. I’ll keep updating in the meantime!

Thanks Again,
    Andrew

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest